On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Luc-Eric Rousseau <luceri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In Maya, it's the Shape node that contains the geometry, and the
> Transform node places it in the 3d word, with the additional twist
> that you can put multiple shapes under the same transform. I'm not
> really aware of any problem with this, but people tend to build
> legends around things they don't often see.

Sure, and you also have multiple transforms owning the same shape for
instancing, which often confuses the hell out of people, however
technically correct it is :)

As for multiple shapes under a transform, there have been genuine issues
with it in the past with it, and some remain, though the ones that remain
are mostly in custom tools, hacks, and people's heads.

One is that Maya's auto-naming can easily turn inconsistent or hard to
parse if shapes move in and out of different transnforms and start being
mulitple-per, so a lot of cheapo in-house scripts tended to fail in that
case, and it doesn't help that there are no valid events to monitor and
catch parenting (that I know of, I should add) to gate that, whereas
creation is obviously a lot easier to gate keep.

The other thing is that a lot of tools use simpler than they should
implementations to deal with shapes (extendToShape to the first shape)
instead of contemplating multiple shape per transform cases, and therefore
leave a mess behind or refuse to work in the multiple shapes per transform
scenario, but that's not Maya's fault.

All in all it's not really an issue with Maya. We do use multiple shapes
and instanced shapes (the only way to emulate Soft proxies, really), and
have no issues with it, but this is now, years ago it was a lot worse, and
that rep stuck.

It's also true that moving shapes around in Maya or manually instancing
requires you use scripts, the UI and the availale commands are ill suited
to handling it.