Maya can be fine, (despite being ~3x as memory hungry and still way more cumbersome comparatively )
with these steps indeed maybe indeed in a few years would it be a closer alternative.

(if overhauling render layers, it's non-destructive framework? shapes workflow and other workflow-s-, and a still pretty big 'etc'.. )

But regardless, if already "forced" to use Maya, wait until rental-only kicks-in.

Then prices could double again (or quadruple or whatever), and purchases couldn't be withheld without also losing the ability to function in the same move.

What were you saying about inside the mouth of a crocodile?