Yeah this could possibly be happening, but indeed the scene would have to be pretty dense. Fire up GPU-Z and see how many vram XSI uses. I know that for Redshift, the devs had to add a patch just for the 970 to actually ignore the 500MB of slow memory that Nvidia put on the 970. Or something like that. I suppose if that section of memory is being accessed by XSI, and since it's much slower than the rest of the on-board memory, perhaps that could have an effect like this? I'm talking a bit out of my area though....

(backstory: When Nvidia shipped the 970, they got a lot of backlash.... the 970 technically does have 4GB of memory, but 500MB of that operates at a speed that makes it virtually unusable for things like rendering (and other stuff), and indeed early on caused dramatic performance problems and slow-downs. So in reality, we only have 3.5GB of usable memory to render with on that card. I do hope they don't pull that crap again.)

-Tim

On 5/28/2015 8:51 PM, Raffaele Fragapane wrote:
If your "heavy" scene is truly heavy, past the 3.5GB mark, you might be bumping into a known design limitation of the 970 that basically craps itself if memory usage exceeds the 3.5 mark (even if you have 4 on board).

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Leoung O'Young <digim...@digimata.com <mailto:digim...@digimata.com>> wrote:

    No, thanks for the suggestion.

    On 28/05/2015 7:46 PM, Sven Constable wrote:

        Manipulating heavy geo was a problem with ATI cards, nvidia
        usually performes well. Did you add the xsi.exe in the nvidia
        control panel?

        sven

        -----Original Message-----
        From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
        <mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com>
        [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
        <mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com>] On Behalf Of
        Leoung O'Young
        Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 1:20 AM
        To: xsi
        Subject: Heavy scenes with the GTX 970

        We have switched some of our workstation using the GTX 970's,
        they preforms quite well rendering in Redshift.
        A good bang for the buck. But we find the it is very sluggish
        manipulating heavy geometry scenes inside Softimage 2915.
        What is a better option?

        Thanks,
        Leoung

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it and let them flee like the dogs they are!

--
Signature

*Tim Crowson
*/Lead CG Artist/

*Magnetic Dreams, Inc.
*2525 Lebanon Pike, Bldg C, Suite 101, Nashville, TN 37214
*Ph*  615.885.6801 | *Fax*  615.889.4768 | www.magneticdreams.com
tim.crow...@magneticdreams.com

/Confidentiality Notice: This email, including attachments, is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Magnetic Dreams, Inc cannot accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Magnetic Dreams, Inc or one of its agents./