It would seem that this is mostly geometry related. It also seems that it is an
age issue as I have some Models that were created in Soft about 5 years ago and
created no problems then but are demonstrating issues now. What's more bizarre
is that one mesh has topology errors that I am certain did not exist back then.
It literally boils down to a simple 64x64 square grid of quads that was
generated from a loft and later converted to a mesh. There is an area of about
15 or so polys that are mangled, missing, and non-manifold, kind of like you
see in some DWG to mesh conversions. But there is absolutely no apparent reason
for it. I have other geometry that came over from Maya that was originally
NURBS and a lot of older Viewpoint geometry as well. I see the problem a lot
with those models. But that isn't what surprises me. It's the custom modeling
created in Maya and Softimage about 5 years ago that really doesn't make sense.
It's like the entire mesh database for any geometry that exhibits the problem
is unstable. The minute you delete offending points, edges or polys the problem
moves to a different part of the mesh. Its as if the geometry, when read by SI,
was read wrong and mangled. You have to delete the entire mesh and recreate it.
Just as you said, it's a lost cause. The only thing with these models that
seems to be consistent is their age and the fact that they started existence as
a NURBS model and at some point converted to mesh.

--
Joey Ponthieux
LaRC Information Technology Enhanced Services (LITES)