This may be of help if Deep Exr's are an option:

http://jokermartini.com/deep-compositing-101/
http://jokermartini.com/deep-compositing-102/
(shown using Vray for 3dsM but should apply to anything)

They Mention that deep can be slow, and it really can be much slower, but the benefits can still make it worth it.

Quote:
There are many benefits to compositing with Deep Image EXR’s such as no edging errors, 3D depth data and having more information to manipulate the digital images. The main drawback is that the image files can become very large and slow to composite. Below is an image showcasing the errors produced when compositing ‘Non-Deep Image EXR’ compared to ‘Deep Image EXR’. If you view the image below full screen, you’ll see the edges which overlap the middle teapot have a slight glow around their edges. Comparing that to the image on the right, you’ll see there is no glowing edges, making for a correct result after color correction. I drastically changed the color of the middle teapot to blue. You can see below the left image is full of errors while the right image contains no errors.