I agree.
Softimage is like those nice spaceship Lego sets, with specialized shapes and parts, to help you build something awesome quick. Houdini is just a shit-load of the basic square Lego bricks, with a few of the level 35 lego technic parts thrown into the mix.
You want something awesome, you better build it all from scratch.
Don't get me wrong.. I'm loving it, but I miss the simplicity of the day to day things in soft