Im pretty sure there was another .pic format that was different than
Softimage .pic, and that is what is "deprecated" on OSX. As far as i
remember it was an indexed format like gif so max 256 colors. So having
.pic support and its expecting an palette-indexed image and getting a
sofimage .pic with 8bpc it will probably fail to show the image correctly.
I have always used .sgi instead of Softimage pic, mainly for 16bit
support... and nostalgic reasons :-D

Robert