How about EXR's ? I Haven't come across a pic sequence since Si3D lol

8 bit can be fine for certain elements (like mattes), or as a last step not as "sources", but as "finals" for broadcast or for making compressed clips once all comp or any grading is done including introducing grain (while still in higher bit depth) to avoid banding once in 8 bit, which any digital display output (except for 10 bit displays) are still limited to. (whenever not destined to be printed directly to film)

And for that, Png's are quite commonly used because they're tiny (originally made for web), and despite being compressed remain "lossless", and fast to load.