On 04/18/16 18:55, Steven Caron wrote:
Their decision axe Softimage seemed irrational to us because we are emotional but if you reduce it to numbers, it made sense.

(right...)

It is a truth I don't like to admit but it is a fact that Maya and Max user numbers are just higher,
so of course you axe Softimage and consolidate the dev teams.
Of course!

Soft userbase wasn't humongous (entirely relatively speaking which is I think is my point)
in it's rather niche segment perhaps like Houdini proportions relative to Maya, or even Maya is relative to 3DS.

But you can't purge something like Houdini (or Softimage) from existance, on the premise that it's market was smaller, and not leave a huuge gaping hole, in what a main package (in it's niche segment) may have provided in terms of advantages, which despite "softimagization" of other products including tweak tools, shader trees, ... to this day remains not just  a bit unique in it's main qualities. (not just concerning ICE)

Others have touched on it, here and on the Arnold mailing lists... This case is different because they don't have 3 competing renderers now, they have at most two (ART in Max). Softimage wasn't a plugin for 7 different softwares, it wasn't 'agnostic' in the same way Arnold is. Since the Softimage purchase and axing, AD has bought Shotgun.

This is an example of AD staying out of way and more value being brought to the product (additional access to RV). These are reasons why I think this case is going to be different.

I am cautiously optimistic though, in 2 years or so we will see for certain.

Indeed shotgun is one (of quite few out of -many-) packages that wasn't seriously compromised post acquisition, which is probably why shotgun is pasted all over Arnold press release, and I too wouldnt be surprised if it was one of those few, yet many would argue that shotgun barely (significantly) changed since it was purchased, and moslty relies on the fact that it's quite complete as it is (perhaps not unlike SI).

But there remains a good chance (if not a probability) that efforts on Arnold would be mostly be around what the parent company is after, or what the buzzword of the day may be at a given time, in this case "cloud", and for the rest to be slowly moved to the back simply by not touching it, and thus becoming like the next MentalRay.

In either case it could then be considered as "just" another casualty.