btw Grahame, if you are still reading this, you don't happen to know where to
enable meshing in the maya ascii file?
I found the settings:
setAttr ".mdf" 5;
setAttr ".msr" 1.2000000476837158;
setAttr ".mdr" 0.60000002384185791;
setAttr ".mkf" 1.5;
setAttr ".mrf" 2;
setAttr ".mss" 1;

but nothing that looks like a boolean in that area. That way I could enable
meshing and don't have to wait for the UI to start commandline meshing....

----