buy global mapper for sure! although it's better if you have a budget for
the premium satellite imagery (the free stuff is ok in continental USA, but
globally not so hot)

also buy this tutorial from Gnomon
https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/creating-terrains-with-satellite
-data-volume-1

really good sections on using global mapper and getting elevation data and
imagery to line up

finally screw google, we spent months trying to buy imagery from them and
they just don't know how to deal with 'customers'

there are also independent satellite imaging companies, that often supply
their data for use in google maps/earth, so if you are well funded, you
could approach them directly

  _____