*1. I don't want to throw away a expensive CPU based renderfarm.*
It will be obsolete soon anyway so just make good planing for next render
tool, CPU or GPU road.

*2. mental ray still has more shaders. It's slow sometimes but it is
rathergood when you want to do non physically based things. A bit like
Softimageitself, the all-purpose, swiss knife.*
First time I heard something like this for MRay. Mostly it is in line I
wanna puke or quit 3d completely due to rendering part :)
When I discovered Arnold and then even more Redshift that is when a big
issue I had with SI, ie rendering was solved and 3d was fun again.
MRay was PAIN non stop! Swiss knife.. yea could say that, got ton of things
but nothing good for most of things :)

Redshift saved my 3d ;)

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 1:16 AM, Sven Constable <sixsi_l...@imagefront.de>
wrote:

> I use mental ray almost exclusively for any project so far, even I'm
> evaluated arnold, redshift and maxwell. Maxwell is so far the most accurate
> renderer I've seen so far in terms of light distribution in a scene and
> nothing comes close to it in my opinion. It's amazing if you do product
> rendering only. But it lacks in shader variety, softimage integration and
> general tweaking, as mental ray has and allows. Arnold may be a killer for
> big projects, heavy scenes but its expensive. Redshift is affordable,has
> good GI for animations and the best integration in Softimage besides mental
> ray (I'm still wondering how they managed to get the round corners shader
> into RS! I was thinking it's a mental images/NVIDIA patent)
> There are only two things that stopped me switching from mr to RS:
> 1. I don't want to throw away a expensive CPU based renderfarm.
> 2. mental ray still has more shaders. It's slow sometimes but it is rather
> good when you want to do non physically based things. A bit like Softimage
> itself, the all-purpose, swiss knife.
>
> So yes, I use mental ray.
> sven

Mirko Jankovic
*http://www.cgfolio.com/mirko-jankovic
<http://www.cgfolio.com/mirko-jankovic>*

Need to find freelancers fast?
www.cgfolio.com

Need some help with rendering an Redshift project?
http://www.gpuoven.com/