I have to admit, since MR is a old renderer it has its flaws. I work with it
since 1999 and I would say I know it quite well, even I never programmed
shaders for it. One issue is DTR/ distributed tile rendering, it simply doesn't
work reliable. Mental images/nvidia solved the memory overflow problem some
versions ago (slave machines ran out of memory and crashed), but there still
seems to be a problem when using satellite rendering together with BSP2. In
some cases, the rendering hangs at 100%, not written to disk and you have to
kill the process. It seems to not happen with BSP1 but since it's much slower
especially when using displacement, it's not an option to use BSP1 just because
of having satellite rendering to work.  This happens with the render region as
well as with batch rendering. I cannot say if this is entirely a MR bug or a
softimage-MR thing or maybe a windows network issue.

However, it works with batch rendering when not using more than one satellite
machine. The render farm here is set up this way (I'm probably one of ten ppl
in the world who uses mental ray satellite rendering on a farm).

It would be nice though to have rock solid distributed rendering when dealing
with large print resolution for example. I don’t think there is an internal
limit in MR regarding the amount of machines. Of course its not unlimited, at
some point Amdahl's law will kick in. The limitation of using five machines was
simply a business/licensing decision, I guess. Imagine, beeing at a company
with a larger render farm that artists can use interactivly. Would cause a bit
of network traffic, yes but the workflow would be improved. It's even practical
if the farm is rendering regular render jobs simultaniously. I once did some
tests and the raysat.exe will use a higher priority than the batch.exe by
default. There would be only peaks of CPU utilization on the farm when an
artist draws a render region, so the delay for normal renderjobs would be
negligible. A potential problem would be, that artists, having vast amount of
render power, they'll put shitload of stuff in the scenes thats simply not
renderable in the final animation. But I disgress.

Another issue probably is GI for animations, as it was discussed many times
over the years. Even you can have flicker free GI in animations, it depends
heavily on the scenario. The classroom scene, for example. Seems an easy
scene,no? Well it's not. Add a skylight system and animate the sun from sunrise
to sundown. I did many, many tests with FG and even with irradiance particles.
At sundown you will have only a few, very bright spots that have to lit the
entire room. Therefore you need an insane high amount of FG rays to capture the
light an even then it will produce splotches in the last few frames. IP
adresses this problem by analyzing the screen space, firing more IP rays
towards bright spots. Similar to portal lights. It is great in terms of general
light distribution and does not produce light leaks. But since it's also
screenspace dependent, it will create problems where a lit surface is not
directly seen by the camera. In this case, at certain areas at  the window
frames at sunrise.
Btw. while testing Redshift with the classroom scene I noticed a bug when using
caustics. Nothings perfect. (However, the GI solution was blazingly fast and
super clean).

All in all, I use MR in production successfully and I like it, but I would not
say I love it :)

sven