Hi Martin

Paul's answered how to copy weight values from one object to another. He's
got an old video where he showed how to write to a weight map, which may be
useful : https://vimeo.com/19031487 . It's uses a distance test rather than
copying values but the set up for how to write a weight map may be of
interest.

There are a number of really good videos in that channel on geometry
manipulation, if you have the time it's probably worth going through them.