I find QuickThickness (on rray) to be pretty reliable.

You'll need to flip the normals on the inside surface but it avoids self
intersections and remains parallel (as long as you're not adding too much
thickness for the topological layout of the points).

http://traypen.com/rr/bak/eistan/quickThickness_v1.6.xsiaddon