Hi Kris, i would recommend you 2160x3840 which is top/bottom format.
About compositing tools we use after effects and ScratchVR, in both of them
you can previsualize with an Oculus hmd without any troubles ;)
About encoding the mp4 should be at least 20 mbps and 30.
For example an 8 minute clip (the project we are working on) is about 1.3
gigas with that resolution and quality.

Francisco.

On Dec 28, 2016 9:22 AM, "Alok Gandhi" <alok.gandhi2...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks guys!! So what about the post/compositing side? What do I use for
> final 3d output? What if I needed to output to facebook or something?
>
> Maybe this will help:
Maybe this will help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CaA9oxH41M
This is for 3DMax > Facebook 360 but I guess it will work the same for
Softimage as well.