From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Chris Marshall
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 9:53 AM
To: Official Softimage Users Mailing List.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/xsi_list
<softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>
Subject: Re: Xsi to Houdini Quick Start Tutorials

F.A.B.!

On 12 January 2017 at 14:26, Rob Chapman
<tekano....@gmail.com<mailto:tekano....@gmail.com>> wrote:
from Jeff @ sidefx

<<paste>>

First thing, set your desktop to “Technical”. This gives you the
folder view on the left hand side. A Houdini scene is actually
composed of network folders and objects inside those networks. You can
traverse these folders with the network pane.

Folders are associated with a network type. We have acronyms for the
network types and the nodes inside these networks.

Object = Object type nodes in an Object type folder. These Object
nodes allow you build transform constraint hierarchies. Geometry type
Object nodes contain SOP nodes that construct and modify geometry that
inherit any transforms at the object level.

SOPs = Surface OPerators or geometry nodes that are inside an object
folder. These are used to construct and modify geometry. Any kind of
geometry from polygons to volumes.

DOPs = Dynamic OPerators or simulation/solver nodes that are used to
construct simulations. Simulations read in geometry from SOPs and
passes this data in to the DOP solvers.

SHOP = SHading Operators are materials that represent a shader to
apply to geometry. Some are hard coded with vex and others are folders
that you can dive in to and modify the VOPs inside.

VOPs = Vector OPerators inside VOP network nodes are used for
everything from building shaders to modifying geometry, volumes,
pixels, and more.

VEX = Vector Expression Language. The code language used to write
shaders. VOPs are wrappers around VEX code snippets.

CVEX = Context agnostic Vector Expression Language. This has replaced
all the VEX specific contexts throughout Houdini. It is a generalized
language that uses the same environment and functions anywhere inside
Houdini.

COPs = Composite OPerators in composite type folders. Used in image
compositing operations.

ROPs = Render OPerators in side ROP Output directories which are used
to create render output dependency graphs for automating output of any
type of data and for triggering external processes like rendering.
Commonly used to generate sequences of geometry, simulation data and
trigger Render tasks that generates sequences of images to disk.

CHOPs = CHannel OPerators used to create and modify any type of raw
channel data from motion to audio and everything in between. Most
users safely ignore the CHOP context, and so can you, for now. Put it
on the “get to it later” list when learning Houdini. But definitely
keep it on the list.

All these folder types and node types are clearly indicated inside the
Tree View you get up by default with the Technical Desktop. I highly
recommend anyone new to Houdini to get used to working with the Tree
view as you can see everything in the scene without diving in and out
all over the place.

What makes these acronyms so important is that you can communicate
ideas much quicker without any ambiguity with your fellow Houdini
co-workers. This is known as “Houdini Speak”.

We have stripped many acronyms from the docs but the fact that they
still exist and get used all the time speaks volumes to their
usefulness.

If you ever speak with me, I use acronyms full stop and expect to hear
them right back. Just putting that out there.