Last year I was using 3dsmax almost exclusively because that was the "core"
DCC app in the studio I was working for. But several times had to run to
Soft because there was something impossible to do in max. I really mean
impossible because a couple of colleges were hardcore max users and TDs and
couldn't find a way to solve the problem (after lots of trying and
scripting...). Lately I've been using Maya because now that's the main app
in the studio I'm working for and yeah, I hear you Steven...  Obviously
doesn't feel at all like being in the Softimage land, but still feels much
more solid and agile than 3dsmax.

Maya is way more open than both max and soft but I think that's the same
reason why it's so easy to break things and mess things up quickly.

I'm trying hard to get used to Houdini since I got my Indie lic a couple of
weeks back, but for now I can't completely forget about Maya.

Since the first week of studying the Houdini way, it immediately felt light
that's the way to go. Just need a little more time to learn and cold blood
to do the switch for a full job.

Orlando.