Thanks for the insight Matt. There is a problem of sorts in the scene which xsi
does not like. I can't think of anything making graphics calls, but then again
I don't know what they might be. I am rendering with Sitoa so lots of Arnold
specific stuff, loads of standins and a lot of big displacement combined with a
sort of large scene extent, around 40.000 units across.

I can render a region in the UI but if I save the scene after that, XSI saves
the scene but hangs. In one attempt to fix the scene I tried merging the scene
into an empty scene - XSI crashes. Rendering with RoyalRender xsibatch after
rebuilding the scene I find that it renders a few frames randomly but still
crashes with the same error messages.
I have tried hiding suspected offenders one at a time and it still crashes. I
need to check some more items here as there are many.

Arnold standalone kick renders it fine, and so far creating .ass files and
rendering i RoyalRender seems to work too. All this points to xsi/xsibatch
having a problem with this particular scene and combination of objects, passes
and overrides, but the maddening thing is I still don't have a clue what causes
it. Unfortunately AD has made sure I can't get support help.

It would be great if upgrading to 2015 SP2 would fix it but I have no way of
knowing without trying it, which is not straightforward due to a Maya/RR issue.

Soldiering on
MB