One thing that can be said is that there’s a definite movement back to in
camera effects, and yes even stop motion puppetry in modern day movies. There’s
a new generation of artist that can see that the closer to reality we get with
digital effects, the less believable they can sometimes be (a metaphorical
‘uncanny valley’).

The FXGuide podcast with Rob Legato for Jungle Book was really enlightening. He
talks about lighting the shots to look like ‘movie reality’ rather than
physical reality and I think that’s part of what lifts it above so much else.
And with  LAIKA’s work, the linage back to Tippet and Harryhausen is more
obvious. It’s so well-crafted it’s difficult to see the seams between the grand
scale stop motion puppetry and the extensive digital animation that’s layered
in too.

Much as I found that Steve Williams & Mark Dippe podcast interesting and
entertaining I sensed an undercurrent of evangelism for the technologies they
introduced. Considering Tippet classified himself as a misanthrope I felt his
look back on past glories more generous to both approaches.

https://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fxpodcast-302-the-jungle-book/