I am learning Maya atm and have run into a snag (one of many). I would like to
use weightmaps in Maya like I am used to in Softimage. Our Maya artists have no
clue what I am talking about, so no help there.

It looks like I can paint attributes on geometry using Artisan paint tools, but
the proces (from reading docs and forums) is not so straightforward.

Am I correct in assuming I should apply a paintable attribute to the
shapenode(!?) and then use a silly mel command (as opposed to have it paintable
when applied, or at least via a button) to make it paintable? And how do I then
grab the painted values in the Hypershade or for an operator?

Could someone who has been there quickly run through the steps, or point to a
different workflow to achieve something similar?

Thanks!

Cheers
Morten