Am I the only one being seriously annoyed by the seeming inaccuracy of
selection of items in Maya viewports?

I click directly on geometry with plenty of screenspace around, and Maya
selects an adjacent object. Orbit a bit and dolly in, try again - Maya selects
another irrelevant adjacent object. Click elsewhere on object I want to select,
and finally I get to select it. WTF were they thinking?

I find myself selecting adjacent objects and rig elements, making quick
selection sets (so I can quickly find and unhide them again) and hiding them,
just to select one particular object. Needless to say it is a massive waste of
time.

Is there a reason behind this madness or is is something like depth sorting
inaccuracy or what??

Morten