If you set up a free Shapeways account, you can test models by uploading
there. It'll automatically test your geometry and tell you where any
problems are. Accepts obj's too. They have lots of help files on how to
best build your geometry but I've found that if you're tidy with building
your models and any walls aren't too think, you shoulsn't have many
problems.
For testing they also print in metals, which I've tried. I had a sterling
silver ring printed for my wife :-) and she loves it! Phew!

Chris Marshall
Mint Motion Limited
029 20 37 27 57
07730 533 115