Just to clarify Tim. I gave you a reason for the business buy-in for
greater control of 'look'  through the pipeline (and over time) but the
technical bias I have is that I'm far more familiar with the Houdini Python
API than I am with the Katana API (and with Vex vs LUA). From my admittedly
spewed perspective, I also believe the documentation of the Houdini Python
API is better than the Katana equivalent.

My original questions arose from the acknowledgement that my own views are
skewed by a bias based on my existing knowledge of Houdini, which by far
outweighs my knowledge of Katata.