> Also, what drawbacks or limitations do you see if I use windows server/IIS
> with Tomcat/sobr?

The snapshot & replication strategy for high availability is designed
for UNIX (or filesystems with UNIX/posix semantics: esp hard links).

So if you want multiple search boxes using Solr, you need to figure
out an alternate way.
Some alternatives:
1) run a separate Linux/UNIX search tier running Solr, making requests
from the Windows boxes when search is needed.
2) send index updates to multiple searchers simultaneously.
3) do index distribution by hand (doable if you only need to see
changes once a day or so).

> Since I am somewhat new to java as well, could someone give me requirements
> to develop with solr/lucene for java?

To use Solr, you don't necessarily need to do any Java development.
By default, it's a standalone server that is updated and queried via
HTTP and XML.  Check out the tutorial if you haven't yet.

In the near future, we want to make updating easier by being able to
point Solr at a database, specify some SQL, and have things
automatically indexed.

-Yonik