On 11/7/06, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

...the incubator release docs mention having both LICENSE files and NOTICE
files for libraries ... not sure what the difference is, but we only have
a LICENSE file for xpp -- no NOTICE...

AFAIK there is one global NOTICE file for the project, see [1].

...do we have the apache licenese in a comment in every file? .. the release
doc suggests we should, but i also seem to remember someone saying that
policy had changed recently...

Also from [1]: files "without any degree of creativity" do not need
the license header.

ARAT is useful in checking for license headers, see
http://code.google.com/p/arat/

... we could make our lives easier and do a "Source Only Release"...

(not sure if you're being ironic here;-) I don't think a source only
release is appropriate for Solr. It's fine for tools aimed at software
developers, but many Solr users will just want to use it out of the
box.

-Bertrand

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html