: In my simplistic Cocoon-based form, end-user gets HTTP 400 when Cocoon tries
: to query http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q= (empty query; but I have
: workaround in query.js JavaScript); obviously this is not a bug in SOLR
: neither it is an unrecoverable system error nor any kind of HTTP errors...

playing devils advocate here: that could certianly be construed a case
where a 404 "Not Found" is a valid response.

: The transport is 'XML over HTTP', it could even be 'XML over SNMP' and we

Agreed, but as long as the XML contains detailed well structured info
about the error (which Solr doesn't currently do) we could also leverage
the protocol's error conventions as well -- provided the protocol allows
for both error codes and response bodies (which HTTP does) ... plainly
speaking: we *could* send back a well formed error document in the
forrmat requested describing the specific problem with the request with a
non 200 HTTP status code.

-Hoss