On Jan 24, 2007, at 1:01 AM, Yonik Seeley (JIRA) wrote:
Yonik Seeley commented on SOLR-104:
-----------------------------------

Oh, and where possible, it would be nice to have some unit tests.

Yes, please!  Lots and lots of unit tests :)

I'm really enamored by code coverage analysis to point to where there is a deficiency in unit tests.

For Java Lucene, we have nightly Clover reports:

        <http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/clover/index.html>

Let's get that set up for Solr too.

[solrb note: we're using rcov and currently have 100% code coverage from the unit/functional test suite, and that includes firing up an actual Solr instance to test the few bits of code that cannot easily be tested otherwise]

Servlet related stuff is probably too hard, but things like stream.body should be easy.

It is harder to test things that rely on a container, but there are many techniques to make it easier with mocks, or for real using Cactus. If we can get some code coverage running and see where the gaps are, we can focus our attention on those areas and get coverage somehow.

        Erik