(see http://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html for what RTC
means, if needed)

On 4/26/07, Otis Gospodnetic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
...C'mon, just svn ci everything!  Just kidding...

Kidding aside, could we check that we agree on the following "rules"
about committing code?

I think it's especially important now that Ryan is a committer (and
don't get me wrong, I'm *very* happy about that), with lots of his
patches pending in Jira, and several of us (IIUC) having little time
to review them all. A clear agreement will help us move forward
efficiently, IMHO.

Here's my understanding of our current (but largely unwritten IIUC)
way of working.

1. Solr usually works in RTC mode: patches are first posted to Jira,
then committed once we agree on a particular patch. This does not
apply to obvious fixes, typos, etc., of course.

2.. Non-trivial patches require a [VOTE] on the dev list before being
committed. What's "non-trivial"? I'd suggest using our common sense
and trusting each other to judge this, for a start.

3. Patches, and especially those adding new functionality, must be
accompanied by automated tests and some documentation (usually in the
Solr wiki).

4. If needed, we could create svn branches for wild experimental
stuff, but we prefer to work with small incremental patches if
possible.

I hope I'm not wasting our collective time with this - feel free to
correct, complete, flame, whatever ;-)

-Bertrand