That's pretty much how do it; it try an update and if it seems "very" broken,
I just get a fresh copy of the trunk and apply the patch. Less than ideal
since it's trial & error though but can't think of anything better.

I'm might backport to 1.2 instead and continue work on 1.3 with less
constraints, this would give everyone more time; if I were to do so, would
it be better to base on 1.2.dev or 1.2.1 branch?
Henrib