Would it be appropriate to exclude this test, since a test that fails
every night is like the boy who cried wolf? At least until it's worked
out -- I'm not really familiar with the setup on the nightly build box.

+1!  Never-working tests are worse than no tests.

I agree crying wolf is BAD BAD BAD, but I'm not sure removing them is the best solution.

The tests in question are:
org.apache.solr.update.AutoCommitTest
and all the Jetty based ones

The only place I have seen them fail (incorrectly) is in the automated test setup. They pass in all my dev environments and I have assumed they pass in everyone elses...

We have messed with the AutoCommitTest increasing the times dramatically, but passing still seems dependent on system resources. Maybe we take that out?

For the jetty based tests, perhaps we should just give a warning if it tries to bind a port and can't -- in that case the tests are not called, but we still have them for the normal dev case where we can bind the port.

thoughts?
ryan