* I wouldn't be in favor of changing the build to rely on Maven2. We use Maven internally at Krugle, and sometimes it works well, and other times it's a royal pain in the butt. So having it as an option would be nice, and handy for me personally, but I'd hate to foist Maven on everybody else.

Again, +1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep the ANT build and publish the Jars on the Maven repo is my vote.

This all sounds good to me -- I don't quite understand how the lucene poms work, so someone else will need to take the first step here ;)

ryan