What do people think of a slight change to the SearchHandler whereby we guarantee that the DebugComponent is always last in the list, regardless of whether or not there are custom components or not? I know I can explicitly declare all my components, but I don't want to have to keep that list in sync. I'd rather just make sure that DebugComponent runs after all the other ones.

In other words, declaring something like:
<arr name="last-components">
      <str>myGreatComponent</str>
    </arr>

actually means last - 1 in the ordering of components. The reason is, say that "myGreatComponent" actually alters the results of the original response. When one gets explains() back (debugQuery=true) the results are based on the original result set and not the one from myGreatComponent.

Another alternative, is to allow the config to insert a component at a specific place, but that is a bit problematic in that it requires one to know the exact ordering of each of the components.

-Grant