On Jul 11, 2008, at 12:56 PM, Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् wrote:
* /update has to be enabled because that is used by the commit script
to reload any new snapshots

Even a servlet filter (or fronting web-server*) could turn off /update requests straightforwardely. Filter to allow only internal servers would do the trick, no?

* I'm not necessarily proposing jetty be actually talking directly to browsers, but no reason why solr.war need be hidden from them either, providing we iron out whatever /update issues there are.

Surely there are other alternative ways a Solr instance can be commanded to pull a new index besides an HTTP request, but I do freely admit that deployment is not my forte.

* user firing queries like *:* can cause heavy load on the server (if
dismax is the not the only one)

That's why I specifically constrained to a reasonable query parser.

The runaway query problem is, though, a problem regardless of whether Solr is fronted by another web UI tier or not. One could argue that is the problem of the front-end system to manage, but in reality users are passing queries straight through without massaging, through any number of layers of architecture.

So /update is the only concern with Solr itself being a UI server?

        Erik

--Noble

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM, Erik Hatcher