: My understanding is that CHANGES.txt is for folks following what has happened
: between releases -- it does not need to include internal modifications if
: there is no impact on the user.

the one thing to keep in mind is that people trying out nightly builds
also take advantage of CHANGES.txt to know what to expect ... they can
test the fix, or pay attention to wether the fix had some side affect on
the functionality, etc...

: Are there more (or fewer) things we should include in CHANGES.txt?

In the specific case of SOLR-493, it would probably make sense to add a
note to the CHANGES.txt entry for SOLR-142 saying that if there is a
<gettableFiles> section an instance of ShowFileRequestHandler will be
registered automaticly.

-Hoss