Seems like my problem could be that qt parameter is not passed.

I see it in the createMainQuery and then after it in SolrCore execute params
do not have qt in there.

It appears that in SearchHandle:

String shardHandler = req.getParams().get(ShardParams.SHARDS_QT);
if (shardHandler == null) {
   params.remove(CommonParams.QT);
} else {
   params.set(CommonParams.QT, shardHandler);
}

Where ShardParams.SHARDS_QT = "shards.qt".

Should I change qt shards.qt then? Or is there another way?

Thanks