Here is what I got so far.

I can add shard.qt parameter to the query string along with shards and qt,
then distributed version of my component is working.

Otherwise "process" function in my custom component is not called, only
default SolrCore "execute".

It seems like a hacky approach to the problem though, I am wondering if
there is better solution.

Thanks