I'm not suggesting you don't validate it first with your own tests. I can't imagine you take a release and just deploy it in production, right?

I'm just observing that if everyone (besides the committers) takes this "release only" approach, then you quickly realize that the large majority of testing in real production systems happens _after_ release, not before, which makes it seem less like a "release" and more like a "release to QA". We committers and contributors make best efforts to test, but the community is responsible for finding most issues simply (b/c of sheer volume) regardless of what name you want to apply to the actual bits they are testing (i.e. nightly/release/ Giant Ball of Solr Fun). In other words, if you are planning on upgrading to 1.4, then you should be trying out 1.4-dev in your test environment before release, not after.

Just my two cents,
Grant

On May 14, 2009, at 12:35 PM, Eger, Patrick wrote:

Yeah, at least for us, the corporate overlords (and our operations team) would be *extremely* hesitant to go to production with any kind of snapshot release. If there was a "weekly stable" or similar that might be slightly better, but definitely not a CI/nightly.

Best Regards,

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: noble.p...@gmail.com [mailto:noble.p...@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Noble Paul ??????? ??????
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:55 AM
To: solr-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr 1.4

The advantage is that there is strength in numbers. There will be a
lot of users using the release build and if there is an issue the user
can rest assured that there will others who need the same fix on the
same revision. (so a better chance of a resolution)

moreover there won't be any half baked fixes in a release

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>