Type 2 is auto and its been deprecated in Lucene.

Not sure why you are seeing this issue though. Could be the recent changes to Solr for LUCENE-1483 - auto now has to be resolved before using the collector, ie using int autotype = SortField.detectFieldType(reader, fieldname);

I remember this changing but not the exact details.

Probably Solr is not doing this though.

- Mark

Ryan McKinley wrote:
Just started getting this error with a recent update:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Illegal sort type: 2
        at org.apache.lucene.search.SortField.getComparator(SortField.java:492)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.FieldValueHitQueue$OneComparatorFieldValueHitQueue.<init>(FieldValueHitQueue.java:80)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.FieldValueHitQueue.create(FieldValueHitQueue.java:190)
        at
org.apache.lucene.search.TopFieldCollector.create(TopFieldCollector.java:851)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.getDocListAndSetNC(SolrIndexSearcher.java:1082)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.getDocListC(SolrIndexSearcher.java:880)
        at
org.apache.solr.search.SolrIndexSearcher.search(SolrIndexSearcher.java:341)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.QueryComponent.process(QueryComponent.java:176)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.component.SearchHandler.handleRequestBody(SearchHandler.java:195)
        at
org.apache.solr.handler.RequestHandlerBase.handleRequest(RequestHandlerBase.java:131)
        at org.apache.solr.core.SolrCore.execute(SolrCore.java:1290)
        at
org.apache.solr.client.solrj.embedded.EmbeddedSolrServer.request(EmbeddedSolrServer.java:139)

This only happens when I combine a custom filter with a text search
(same custom filter as the last time).

Before digging deeply into what solr/lucene rev changed the behavior,
I just want to check if this rings a bell with anyone....

thanks!
ryan

--
- Mark