On Aug 16, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

I just profiled a CSV upload, and aside from the CSV parsing, Solr
adds pretty much no overhead!
I was expecting some non-trivial overhead due to Solr's
SolrInputDocument, update processing pipeline, and update handler...
but profiling showed that it amounted to less than 1%.

85% of the time was spent in Lucene's IndexWriter
12% of the time was spent in the CSV parser2

I'm curious how much overhead there is in parsing Solr XML. I will try some tests on that later if I get a chance. We really should push clients to use the Binary request/response formats in most cases.