Argh, this was meant for solr-dev.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Date: September 25, 2009 1:34:32 PM EDT
To: solr-u...@lucene.apache.org
Subject: 8 for 1.4

Y'all,

We're down to 8 open issues:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=12310230&versionId=12313351&showOpenIssuesOnly=true

2 are packaging related, one is dependent on the official 2.9 release (so should be taken care of today or tomorrow I suspect) and then we have a few others.

The only two somewhat major ones are S-1458, S-1294 (more on this in a mo') and S-1449.

On S-1294, the SolrJS patch, I yet again have concerns about even including this, given the lack of activity (from Matthias, the original author and others) and the fact that some in the Drupal community have already forked this to fix the various bugs in it instead of just submitting patches. While I really like the idea of this library (jQuery is awesome), I have yet to see interest in the community to maintain it (unless you count someone forking it and fixing the bugs in the fork as maintenance) and I'll be upfront in admitting I have neither the time nor the patience to debug Javascript across the gazillions of browsers out there (I don't even have IE on my machine unless you count firing up a VM w/ XP on it) in the wild. Given what I know of most of the other committers here, I suspect that is true for others too. At a minimum, I think S-1294 should be pushed to 1.5. Next up, I think we consider pulling SolrJS from the release, but keeping it in trunk and officially releasing it with either 1.5 or 1.4.1, assuming its gotten some love in the meantime. If by then it has no love, I vote we remove it and let the fork maintain it and point people there.

-Grant