From http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToRelease:
Check out the branch with: svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/branches/branch-X.Y \

Note: at the moment releases need to be done on a unix box or in a cygwin environment with unix linefeeds, because fixcrlf is only done on the sources in the zip artifact

Update the version numbers in common-build.xml:
specversion should be set to X.Y.M.${dateversion}, where X.Y.M is the release being made.

version should be set to X.Y.N-dev, where N is one greater than the release being made.

maven_version should be the same as version for release but set to X.Y- SNAPSHOT for non-release.

Compile the code and run unit tests.
ant -Dversion=X.Y.M -Dspecversion=X.Y.M clean test

Regenerate the "site" docs per Website_Update_HOWTO so the documentation included with this release will reflect the correct version number (at the moment, this is specific to the tutorial)

Commit the build.xml and documentation changes from the previous few steps.
Build the release.
ant -Dversion=X.Y.M -Dspecversion=X.Y.M package

Does the second step (step 7 on the wiki) occur on the branch that we just checked out? I know in the end that I'm building w/ specversion and version set to 1.4.0 for the release, but that update of common- build.xml seems a bit out of place. Seems like it should read that on the branch you set it to be X.Y.M for all three versions and on trunk you tick the appropriate things, right? Then, the later ant commands, when run on the branch, would not require setting -Dversion or - Dspecversion at all, right?

This is how I am planning on doing it, but I want to update the docs, too.

-Grant