On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:
> Using Double underscores kind of feels like a hack, what i keep wondering
> is if we can't leverage dynamicFields here.

This is what the prototype patch does I just put up on SOLR-1131.
I've gone with option A for now (see cut'n'pated comments from
DualPointType) but it's up to the specific FieldType.

    /**
     * Two possible ways to allow the user to specify the __lat and
__lon fields:
     *
     * A: let them specify the complete suffix for the lat field and
lon field.  It
     * is up to them to make sure those dynamic field types are
defined in the schema.
     * Advantages: no new mechanism needed to add fieldTypes during
the initialization
     * of another fieldType.
     * Disadvantages: more clutter in the schema, lack of control over
what fieldTypes
     * are used, need to delegate absolutely everything through the
subFieldType since
     * we don't actually know what it is.
     *
     * B: Have the TriePointType create and insert the fieldtypes for
the lat and lon
     * fields itself.
     * Advantages: less clutter in the schema, more control over the
exact numeric field
     * type.
     * Disadvantages: dynamically adding new types not currently supported,
     *   less customizability
     *
     */

-Yonik