patrick o'leary wrote:
> Think we crossed lines somewhere on the first part of the discussion.
>

>>> But your doing that yourself at source forge? Hasn't there been a lot of
>>>
> work on an external LocalLucene, even after it was put into contrib?
> While the contrib version was left in a fairly hairy state?
> Thats just the nature of the license - but putting LocalLucene into
> contrib hasn't appeared to help much.
> ====
>
> I disagree Mark, locallucene hasn't been updated in 8 month on source forge
> http://locallucene.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/locallucene/trunk/
>
> locallucene/<http://locallucene.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/locallucene/trunk/locallucene/>
>
> *168*<http://locallucene.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/locallucene/trunk/locallucene/?view=log>
>  8
> months  pjaol  Added getQuery(Query) method to convert distance filter to a
> query allowing loca...
> Only localsolr has had work performed on it,while waiting to get something
> in Solr, spatial lucene has been slowly updated over time, by more than just
> which is what open source and iteration is all about.
> If you want to wait for perfection, you have to wait.

Okay, fair enough - I was going by the front page stats that mention a
number of recent commits and hearsay that was told to me by others (or
other ;) ).
To be fair, I haven't looked at the code, so I'm happy to take your word
for it. My apologies.

> As for leaving spatial contribution in a hairy state, you care to clarify?

No documentation, almost no javadoc, extremely sparse tests, quite a few
bugs, some funky code / left over unused code.

There is a history of it on the Lucene-dev list - not that its that big
of a deal, but kind of irksome that those that put it in haven't
responded to any of the issues, and others that are
less familiar have had to somewhat pick up the torch. A couple people
were made contrib committers with the hope that they would help with the
upkeep and fixes - otherwise an existing
committer could have just dumped it all in. I don't really mean that as
negative as it prob comes off though.

 Some things are now better, but I don't think great. Part of the nature
of open source as well, but irksome non the less.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com