>>No documentation, almost no javadoc, extremely sparse tests, quite a few
bugs, some funky code / left over unused code.
Some things are now better, but I don't think great. Part of the nature
of open source as well, but irksome non the less.
=====

That is true, and I do accept responsibility for it, I have had to step away
from open source
over the past year to focus on significantly more important personal things.

The most important goal I feel isn't perfection, but a basis that can be
improved up, I will be honest that if spatial lucene
had not been in lucene/contrib, I doubt that it would be alive today.
It exists because others have helped. (Which is why I'm as irked as I am
about the original subject of this thread)

Consolidation of documentation I found to always be a problem, which is why
I put www.gissearch.com together a few years ago
to assist with it while it was in Sourceforge, again I haven't had
opportunities to update and move that over to Apache's Wiki.

To me open source is not run as a corporate waterfall delivery, where the
initial delivery is the end goal, but a mere start, that other engineers
can contribute significantly to.

If I wasn't a firm believer in it, I would not be pushing as hard as I am to
ensure it is added to Solr