The confusion is that there are multiple issues, each has multiple patches,
and then there's trunk which seems to already have spatial stuff committed.
So I don't even know where to start.

The error I got was simply entering the very first URL on the SpatialSearch
wiki:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=_val_:"recip(dist(2, store,
point(34.0232,-81.0664)),1,1,0)"&fl=*,score

I'm on the very latest trunk from minutes ago, and I did a clean before
building Solr.