Sorry - hit a bad keyboard short cut and sent this mid way through writing it - please disregard and read the followup.

On 03/15/2010 07:21 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
On 03/15/2010 07:14 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
: Development on branches/solr to get on lucene trunk is progressing at
: a furious (nay... ferocious) pace, pushed by the "not new, but new to
: solr" committers.  Feels great to have everyone on the same team!

I feel like i must have missed out on some sort of discussion -- what was
the motivation behind creating a branch for this? (as opposed to just
using solr/trunk, since it seemed like there was a clear concensus from
all the solr devs (in the merge discussion) that the next major solr
release should be in sync with Lucene 3.x)

Because getting Solr on Lucene 3.x is a combination of a bunch of issues and patches - robert and I were trying to juggle them all and it was major annoying. So we made a branch that we could commit crappy stuff too fast and furious to get things up to speed and iterate. This branch is basically the culmination of all the patches, plus whatever else we needed.

Also: why such a horrible branch name?  ... seems more then a little
vague.

God don't ask. As Robert and I were looking for a place for a branch, it came up in #Lucene irc chat that we should put it in a certain place. It turns out, that certain place caused a raucous. Uwe popped up and said something like:

REVERT!!!!!!

REVERT!!!!!!

-Hoss

--