Another followup: I bumped all the caches in solrconfig.xml to

     size="1600384"
     initialSize="400096"
     autowarmCount="400096"

It seemed to fix the problem on a very small index (facets on last and first author fields, + 12 range date facets, sub 0.3 seconds for queries). I'll check on the full index tomorrow (it's indexing right now, 400docs/sec!). However, I still don't have an idea what are these values representing, and how I should estimate what values I should set them to. Originally I thought it was the size of the cache in kb, and someone on the list told me it was number of items, but I don't quite get it. Better documentation on that would be welcomed :)

Also, is there any plans to add an option not to run a facet search if the result set is too big? To avoid 40 seconds queries if the docset is too large...

Thanks,

Michael Imbeault
CHUL Research Center (CHUQ)
2705 boul. Laurier
Ste-Foy, QC, Canada, G1V 4G2
Tel: (418) 654-2705, Fax: (418) 654-2212