Yonik Seeley wrote:

1) facet on single-valued strings if you can
2) if you can't do (1) then enlarge the fieldcache so that the number
of filters (one per possible term in the field you are filtering on)
can fit.

I changed the filterCache to the following:
   <filterCache
     class="solr.LRUCache"
     size="25600"
     initialSize="5120"
     autowarmCount="1024"/>

However a search that normally takes .04s is taking 74 seconds once I use the facets since I am faceting on 4 fields.

Can you suggest a better configuration that would solve this performance issue, or should I not use faceting? I figure I could run the query twice, once limited to 20 records and then again with the limit set to the total number of records and develop my own facets. I have infact done this before with a different back-end and my code is processed in under .01 seconds.

Why is faceting so slow?

Andrew