On Dec 8, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:
My data is 492,000 records of book data. I am faceting on 4 fields: author, subject, language, format. Format and language are fairly simple as their are only a few unique terms. Author and subject however are much different in that there are thousands of unique terms.

When encountering difficult issues, I like to think in terms of the user interface. Surely you're not presenting 400k+ authors to the users in one shot. In Collex, we have put an AJAX drop-down that shows the author facet (we call it name on the UI, with various roles like author, painter, etc). You can see this in action here:

        http://www.nines.org/collex

type in "da" into the name for example. I developed a custom request handler in Solr for returning these types of suggest interfaces complete with facet counts. My code is very specific to our fields, so its not usable in a general sense, but maybe this gives you some ideas on where to go with these large sets of facet values.

        Erik